1 whole chicken - sometimes I just use boneless breasts
extra fat free or low fat chicken broth
several sliced carrots
several stalks of celery
1 cup (or more) chopped onion - sometimes I use frozen - so easy
jiffy mix
milk
salt/pepper
Cook chicken in water then chill the broth to make fat rise to top - scoop off and discard
chop or shred the chicken
Cook onions, carrots and celery in broth until just tender
Add the chopped chicken
season with salt and pepper to taste
Let is simmer to blend the flavors - you can make this part the day before
You want it to have a fair amount of broth for cooking the dumplings so you may want to add more broth after everything is in the pan
mix a couple of cups (I usually use about half a box or so) jiffy mix with a tsp salt and 1/2 - 3/4 tsp pepper (estimated amounts)
Add enough milk to make a thick dough
Add heaping tsp/tbsp dough to bubbling soup - just cover the whole top of the soup using all the dough
cover and lit simmer on medium heat for about 10 -15 minutes - try not to peek
Then gently break apart the dumplings and stir through the soup
Enjoy!
Jeff, you are such a dork but I love you! Thanks for the yummy recipe.
ReplyDelete